Loft Conversion: Velux
Going up is a great way to add space and value to your property, especially when you choose an affordable Velux loft renovation. Also known as a ‘rooflight’ or ‘skylight’ conversion, it balances cost with practicality, and is a popular choice among homeowners.
Reasons to choose a Velux loft conversion
There are lots of benefits to this style over others, including the following:
- Simplest solution
- Most cost-effective option
- Unaltered roofline
- Planning permission usually isn’t needed
- Low level of construction required
- Minimum disruption
Velux loft considerations
While there are many good points to this type of upwards extension, it isn’t right for every building. It’s important to think about whether it’s the most suitable one for your house. Consider these factors:
- Ceiling height: As you’re not increasing headroom by building out, start with ample space to move around in comfortably, without ducking/stooping.
- Planning constraints: If you’re unlikely to get the go-ahead for a more substantial change to the structure, this is the way to go. If neighbours have been given the green light for a dormer etc. you might choose to go with a bigger project.
- District: In a conservation/heritage zone, or flat? Permission might be required.
- Window coverage: For adequate daylight levels, the glazed area should be at least 20% of the floor, so check this can be achieved.
- Positioning: Facing south? You’ll get lots of sunshine, perfect for winter. Blackout blinds help prevent overheating in the summer.
- Usage: Typically there’s only capability for one use, such as an office, bedroom or playroom. Want two bedrooms and a bathroom? You might prefer a different project.
Velux loft conversion cost
- From £25,000
Cost is a major consideration when developing your house. Looking for the cheapest route to have an extra room? Then changing your attic this way is likely your top pick.
The final price depends on various things, such as:
- Window size/number
- Roof size
Just need light and ventilation? It’ll be less expensive. Fancy smart fittings that automatically open/shut? You’ll pay a bit more. Live somewhere noisy? Insulation will help — at a higher price tag. You can also have a cabrio system to create a balcony.
Why choose Fittra for your Velux loft expansion
Fittra Construction can transform your attic to make the most of your home. Save the expense of moving by improving your existing property to gain everything you want. Here’s how we can help:
- Free consultations
- Bespoke design
- Planning permission applications
- Building regulations covered
- Legal advice
- Trade discounts
- Expert team
- Engineering consultancy
- Project management throughout
- Clear payment schedule with 5% deposit
- £5M public/products, £10M employer’s liability insurance
- NFB, TrustMark, FMB, NHBC registrations/accreditations/professional memberships
Get in touch today to discuss your plans. We look forward to hearing from you.
Interested in Velux conversion?
PAY ONLY FOR WORK THAT HAS BEEN DONE!
Why Work With US
at all stages
with project manager
Integrated, In-house Team Will Work On Your Project
In the End You Will Get
A HIGH-END PRODUCT DELIVERED ON TIME AND ON BUDGET!
SEE WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
Do you have questions?
Frequently Asked Questions
Most loft conversions are considered permitted development, which means you won’t need to get planning permission as long as the building work fits certain criteria.
Whereas a traditional dormer consists of a window and roof combination, the Velux dormer uses windows in place of the roof.
Velux loft conversions are usually completed in less than four weeks since they are one of the simplest conversion types. Depending on the overall size and roof work requirements, a dormer loft conversion may take four to six weeks to complete.